( 1 )
The case for college has been accepted without question for more than a generation. All high school graduates ought to go, says conventional wisdom and statistical evidence, because college will help them earn more money, become “better” people, and learn to be more responsible citizens than those who don’t go.
But college has never been able to work its magic for everyone. And now that close to half our high school graduates are attending, those who don’t fit the pattern are becoming more numerous, and more obvious. College graduates are selling shoes and driving taxi; college students interfere with each other’s experiments and write false letters of recommendation in the intense competition for admission to graduate school. Others find no stimulation in their studies, and drop out—often encouraged by college administrators.
Some observers say that the fault is with the young people themselves—they are spoiled and they are expecting too much. But that’s a condemnation of the students as a whole, and doesn’t explain all campus unhappiness. Others blame the state of the world, and they are partly right. We have been told that young people have to go to college because our economy can’t absorb an army of untrained eighteen-year-olds. But disappointed graduates are leaning that it can no longer absorb an army of trained twenty-year-olds, either.
Some adventuresome educators and campus watchers have openly begun to suggest that college may not be the best, the proper, the only place for every young person after the completion of high school. Perhaps college doesn’t make people intelligent, ambitious, happy, liberal, or quick to learn things.
1. The passage suggests that _______.
A. people used to question the value of education
B. very few high school graduates chose to go to college C. all high school graduates went to college
D. people used to have full confidence in higher education
2. In the second paragraph, “those who don’t fit the pattern” refers to _____. A. high school graduates who are not suitable for college education B. college graduates who are selling shoes and driving taxi C. high school graduates who failed to be admitted to college D. college students who aren’t good for higher education
3. The drop-out rate of college students seems to go up because _____. A. young people are disappointed with the conventional way of teaching B. many young people are required to join the army
C. young people don’t like the intense competition for admission to graduate school D. young people have little motivation in pursuing a higher education
4. According to the passage, the problem in college education partly arises from the fact that
A. high school graduates do not fit the pattern of college education
B. society can’t provide enough jobs for properly trained college students C. too many students have to earn their own living
D. college administrators encourage students to work hard 5. What can we infer from the passage? A. Cheating in school is on the rise.
B. Some people concerned challenge the traditional view that college is the best place for high school graduates.
C. College administrators should be responsible for the increasing number of drop-out. D. College education is not the first choice for intelligent people. ( 2 )
A young man who lived in London was in love with a beautiful girl. Soon she became his fiancée （未婚妻）. The man was very poor while the girl was rich. The young man wanted to make her a present on her birthday. He wanted to buy something beautiful for her, but he had no idea how to do it, as he had very little money. The next morning he went to a shop. There were many fine things there: gold watches, diamond… but all these things were too expensive. There was one thing he could not take his eyes off. It was a beautiful vase. That was a suitable present for his fiancée. He had been looking at the vase for half an hour when the manager of the shop noticed him. The young man looked so pale, sad and unhappy that the manager asked what had happened to him.
The young man told him everything. The manager felt sorry for him and decided to help him. A bright idea struck him. The manager pointed to the corner of the shop. To his great surprise the young man saw a vase broken into many pieces. The manager said: \room, he will drop it.\
On the birthday of his fiancée the young man was very excited. Everything happened as had been planned. The servant brought in the vase, and as he entered the room, he dropped it. There was horror on everybody's face. When the box was opened, the guests saw that each piece was packed separately.
6. The story took place ______.
A. in France B. in England
C. in Germany D. in the United States 7. Which of the following is true?
A. A rich young man fell in love with a beautiful girl.
B. The young man's family was poor while the beautiful girl is rich. C. The young man loved the girl but the girl didn't love him. D. The young man had enough money to buy a beautiful vase. 8. Why did the young man want to buy a present for the girl? A. He wanted to give her a Christmas present. B. He fell in love with her.
C. Her birthday was coming soon. D. They were going to get married.
9. Why did the shop manager come to talk to the young man?
A. He looked very excited.
B. He was poorly dressed. C. He looked pale and sad.
D. He said he wanted to buy a beautiful vase.
10. On the birthday of his fiancée, the young man was excited because ______. A. the girl was in love with him B. the girl looked beautiful
C. he was not sure whether his trick would be seen through D. the girl was happy and gay
二、交际用语(此部分共有10个未完成的对话，针对每个对话中未完成的部分有4个选项，请你从A、B、C、D四个选项中，选出一个最佳选项。) 20% (答案必须填在答卷表格里,否则不得分)
1. — Seven thirty? I guess I’d better get going for the meeting at eight o’clock. When is the next bus up to the hotel?
A. That bus leaves here in 15 minutes. B. That bus left just now. C. That bus isn’t here.
D. The bus over there is waiting.
2. — Are you looking forward to going home for the summer? — ___________________. A. Yes, I do. B. No, I don’t.
C. I’m counting the days.
D. I’m so worried about the final.
3. — What’s happening with the new teaching building? — ___________________. A. It’s not an easy job. B. I’ve just come back.
C. I’ve never been there before.
D. It’s held up by the bad weather this week.
4. — Do you know John’s new address? Here’s his mail and I want to send it to him. — ___________________.
A. Sorry, I don’t think I will do this. B. Well, we used to be roommates. C. Well, we will never meet again.
D. Sorry, we didn’t get along before he moved. 5. — How do you like the country life here so far? — ___________________. A. There is nothing special. B. It looks like boring.
C. It’s too far from the city.
D. It’s quite different from what I expected.
6. — I wonder if you could do me a favor.
A. Sure. B. I could. C. Yes，I do. D. No，not at all. 7. — The movie last night was really interesting. — ____________________________. A. But it was difficult to understand. B. I went to the movie，too.
C. I couldn’t agree with you more. D. It sounds good.
8. — Excuse me，can you tell me where the nearest subway station is? — _______________________. A. It’s too far from here.
B. Sorry，I’m a stranger here myself.
C. You can take a bus first.
D. Sorry，I can’t.
9. — There’s a big party at the students’ center tonight. Are you going with us? — _____________________________. A. It’s none of my business.
B. I’d love to，but I have to catch up with my maths assignment. C. I’ve never had the chance to go there. D. It’s beyond my expectation.
10. — You’d better take the umbrella with you. It looks like it’s going to rain.
— ____________________________. A. It’s hard to believe.
B. You may be right. Thank you for reminding me. C. It’s quite unusual. D. I think you are too sensitive.
1. Boris has brains. In fact，I doubt whether anyone in the class has ________ IQ. A. a high B. a higher C. the higher D. the highest
2. The more he tried to help her, _______ she seemed to appreciate it. A. less B. the less C. the least D. the lesser
3. This year the farmers have produced twice ________ grain ________they did last year. A. as less ... as B. fewer ... than C. as much ... as D. as many ... as 4. Frank plays ________ Alex.
A. a lot more better than B. a lot better than C. much more better than D. much more well than 5. — What was his performance like? — Oh, it couldn’t have been________.
A. much wonderful B. more wonderful C. less wonderful D. the most wonderful
6. The crime was discovered till 48 hours later, ______ gave the criminal plenty of time to get
A. which B. that C. so D. what
7. The machine is such ______ I have never seen before. A. what B. as C. when D. where
8. The two elements ______ water is made are the oxygen and hydrogen. A. that B. which C. of which D. with which
9. A good many proposals were raised by the delegates, ______ was to be expected. A. that B. what C. so D. as
10. The instruments of the older factory______ . A. is as good or better than the new one B. are as good or better than the new one
C. is as good as or better than those of the new one D. are as good as or better than those of the new one 11. The higher the standard of living, ______ . A. the greater is the amount of paper is used B. the greater amount of paper is used
C. the amount of paper is used is greater D. the greater the amount of paper is used
12. ______ the 1500’s_______the first Europeans explored the coast of California. A. It was not until ... when B. It is until ... that
C. It is not until ... when D. It was not until ... that
13. I didn’t remember his name ______ after I had greeted him. A. when B. as C. until D. while
14. ______ he works hard, I don’t mind when he finishes the experiment. A. As soon as B. As well as C. So far as D. So long as
15. Most of the stones are ______ a man and weigh about two and a half tons each. A. more high B. much more high C. higher more D. higher than
The situation is made worse since many of the earth’s forests are being removed，and plant life is being damaged by acid rain.
Thus，the amount of carbon dioxide in the air is continuing to increase.
Pollution also needs to be considered inside our homes，offices，and schools.
Some of these pollutants can be created by indoor activities such as smoking and cooking.
一、阅读：20% （每小题2分） 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 D A D B B B B C C C
二、交际用语20%（每小题2分） 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 A C D D C A C B B B
三、语法与词汇：30%（每小题2分） 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 B B B B C A B C D D 11 12 13 14 15 D D C D D
因此，空气中二氧化碳的数量在继续增加。 我们的家庭、办公室和学校也需要考虑污染问题。 其中一引起污染物可以通过室内活动如吸烟和烹饪产生。